Blog

Monday, May 27, 2013

Article Review - 10 Skills Modern Teachers Must Have

At my brand new school (Norfolk Senior High School in Norfolk, Nebraska) 21st century learning is important.  So important, in fact, that it is seen in the mission statement, "Preparing all students to succeed in the 21st century." In the article, The 10 Skills Modern Teachers Must Have, the author discusses the vast amount of technology thrown at teachers on a regular basis and offers ten specific ways we can stay connected while not feeling overwhelmed.

Perfect.  Because let's face it - it's summer and the word, "overwhelmed" is not in my vocabulary.  Words that ARE in my current vocabulary include coffee, lake, sun tea, Geocaching, and Diet Pepsi. :)

I do an above average (but not stellar) job of , "not being afraid to fail." Man, I have had technology-based lesson plans that have TANKED before.  After internally crying for a moment and debating whether God hates me or not, I try pick myself up and go to Plan B.  Sometimes there IS a Plan B.  Other times - not so much.  Regardless if Plan B exists or not, I try to go with the flow and take deep breaths.  After class or at the end of the day, I drown my sorrows in Diet Pepsi and try to figure out what went wrong.  Sometimes there is an easy fix and other times not so much.

I also think I have an rock solid online reputation.  I may not be in the popular crowd, but I don't have to sit alone at the online reputation lunch table either.  My online reputation is well-guarded and carefully managed. It's basically like a bank vault at Gringolds.

My mother would agree, however, that I struggle with disconnecting.  I should enroll in a tech addicts program.  Hi, I'm Taryn and I have a problem.  Sometimes I "wake" up with a full beard (just kidding, I'm a lady) and wonder where the last three days went, only to discover I've been on a tech bender.   Just kidding, BUT I do need to be more mindful to unplug.

Anyway, I must end this for today.  There is a Geocache that is .03 miles from my house and it's calling my name!  My eight-year-old Beagle, Coco, and I must disconnect and leave the house for a bit.





8 comments:

  1. I liked that you focused on not being afraid to fail. Anyone who uses technology in class can relate to that lesson that "tanked" as you so eloquently put it! When using technology, you have to accept that sometimes the network goes down or the site you want to use goes down or the power goes out. Good teachers figure out a way to move past that and go on. Tomorrow is another day!

    Glad to have you participating in the Summer Tech Challenge! Welcome to NPS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to NPS, Taryn! I look forward to reading your blog.

    I love the, "Hi, I'm Taryn and I have a problem." I agree... we all must learn to disconnect at times.

    I also agree with Mickie's statement, good teachers figure out a way to move when technology fails us (or we tank a lesson :) You can learn if you don't try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking a social media course and I am creating a blog too. I want a place former students can go to access materials...
    JS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to NPS, Taryn! I'm an addict of certain things - Diet Dr. Pepper, Facebook, and Jazzercise - but blogging has not been one of them! I'm hoping the Summer Tech Challenge nudges me past my personal use of Facebook to more educationally useful technology I can successfully use in my classroom. I look forward to your suggestions and insights throughout this process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Kelly! I think the Summer Tech Challenge is an awesome way to work on specific ways to use technology in my classroom! That's what I am most excited about. I just finished task one, so I am on to challenge two.

    I just picked up my keys to the High School this week and moved all my teaching things out of my car and into my classroom. It is nice to have space in my car again! :) Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely agree with you Mickie! If a lesson doesn't go so well because of a problem with technology, it's usually not the technology. It's usually ME! Ha ha When it happens from time to time, I just have to go back and figure out what step(s) I missed and improve it for next time! I think the best thing I can do is never give up on it! May the technology Gods shine upon us all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to NHS. I am in the LIFE Room (312) feel free to stop by I love technology too. It's exciting to see and hear someone else who loves technology.

    I forget sometimes that it's easier to do some lessons without the technology and that it's not always available outside the school room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to NPS!
    Your post made me laugh. I love that. The analogy of the online lunch table is genius. I am trying to stay off the grid when it comes to social media. I just don't get it. That might change with this challenge but I am not sure.
    As far as technology in the classroom, it is an adventure. I teach 3rd grade so the kids love it when it fails. And I have taught them that there is always a plan b, plan c, plan d, etc. The kids I have are so much more savvy than me. It scares me!
    I am glad that you are finally in your classroom. Have fun getting ready!

    ReplyDelete