Blog

Friday, May 31, 2013

Entering the Twitterverse

I have used Twitter in the past, but only to socialize and communicate with friends.  I guess I didn't really GET it and didn't see the educational value in it.  Yep.  I couldn't have been MORE wrong.

I never really understood how to use hashtags to actually have a virtual conversation with other educators.  I went to TweetChat.com this week and actually followed a #nebedchat.  It blew my mind.  After only one time of kind of following along, I can see the great potential for an answer to any educational question.  I think #nebedchat stands for Nebraska Educator's Chat or something like that.  Anyway, it will be a great way to build my PLN and connect with likeminded individuals from across the state.  I have also seen #edchat on Twitter, but haven't participated in a chat with them yet.

I also enjoy all the nifty ways people integrate Twitter and Tweeting into different types of lingo. Examples include:

twabe (or twabes): Slang terms often used on Twitter to refer to a young woman. Can also be used as a flattering term that has roughly the same meaning as “dear” or “sweetheart.”
twabstinence: A slang term used to describe someone’s decision to cut back on their Twitter time because it is preventing them from completing their work or other important daily tasks.  
twabulous: A slang term used to describe a fabulous tweet.
Twaffic: Slang term used to mean "Twitter traffic."
Twalking: Slang term used to describe someone who is walking while they tweet, using a mobile device.
twart: A slang term meaning “Twitter art.”

Citation: http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/Twitter_Dictionary_Guide.asp

Anyway, I am excited to see what else Twitter has to offer!

3 comments:

  1. Love the twitter Lingo! Thanks for the additions to my vocabulary. I agree #nebedchat is awesome and I wish I had my Wed. nights free to follow and participate but I do go back and read what has been said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed it, Elizabeth! I didn't know you could go back and read what has been said if you miss the session! That's awesome! I will have to check that out.

    And yes, the Twitter lingo is kind of fun! Sometimes I come across a term I have not heard of and have to refer to the Twitter dictionary. Or maybe the Twictionary? I think that is a better name for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the Twitter lingo! Too funny!

    I have yet to participate in #nebedchat, but will sometime soon.

    You are definitely followorthy! :)

    ReplyDelete