Blog

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

LiveBinder 1, Taryn 0

LiveBinder has definitely been the most difficult challenge for me (times infinity) in the Summer Technology Challenge.  I am not sure why it was so hard for me, but it took me quite a bit more time to figure out and complete than the other challenges.  I understand why people use Live Binders and think the concept of it is great!  I love looking through already published LiveBinders.  I just found it more difficult to actually create my own Binder.

There were times I had to put down my computer and just walk away because I got so frustrated as to why something wasn't working.  I know it shouldn't be that hard, but something just wasn't clicking for me!  After I understood what Tabs and Sub Tabs were, life was much easier! :)  I found that it was a lot more applicable for me to create Sub Tabs under one specific tab.  Otherwise, I would have had a lot more Tabs than needed.

Another issue I ran into was that my PowerPoint files were too large to upload.  I finally found a couple that were under 10mb.  Progress!

I completely see how and why teachers (and other types of folks, too!) use LiveBinders.  They are great for storing a variety of files.  I know I shouldn't have had this much trouble setting mine up, but I guess they call this the Summer Technology ***CHALLENGE*** for a reason. :)


2 comments:

  1. Well, it looks like I've finally stumped my new techie! Yes, I did name it the Summer Tech CHALLENGE for a reason!

    A couple of tips on your binder. Any MS Office file will not open inside the binder. That means whomever is viewing your binder will have to have PowerPoint on their machine in order to view the PowerPoints you have added to your binder. (Not possible if they are using a Chromebook to view the binder.) Is there a particular reason why they need to view the presentation in PowerPoint? If they just need the information from the slides, save the PowerPoint as a PDF and upload it that way. PDFs display within the binder and will probably meet the file size limit.

    Second, make sure each tab has something on it. I like to put pictures or Wordles on tabs. If a tab is blank, a lot of times people will just sit there and wait for it to "load" not knowing that there isn't anything on the tab. You can also use a text format and put some kind of explanation on the tab instead of a picture.

    Sorry for the struggle but I do like the binder you came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooooooooooo I get it! That makes sense, Mickie. I also didn't read the challenge correctly because I thought I had to upload a PowerPoint! Oops! :) I looked at it again and you said a Google form of some sort (like a presentation). Maybe I would have saved myself time if I hadn't sped through the directions the first time around. PDFs and Google forms will work much better than a large PowerPoint file. Good idea!

    It makes sense to add a picture on each page, so the viewer isn't staring at a blank screen. I will go back and add pictures on each main tab, so people have something to look at! Thanks, Mickie!

    ReplyDelete