Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Revamping Classroom Lessons with Voki

Before the Summer Technology Challenge I hadn't heard of Voki before.  Now that I have, I think it is definitely a resource I can use in my English/Theater classroom.

Before leaving Auburn, I had to turn in my amazing MacBook Pro, which has left me with an old Macbook that is on it's last leg.  I think my Macbook hindered my ability to experiment with Voki because I was unable to record my voice via my computer's microphone.  I could record it, but could permanently attach it to my Voki.  I ended up having to call their toll free number and record my voice that way.  I love that Voki has different options for recording your voice!  And I love options!

I created three Voki's geared toward completely different parts of my teaching.  For the first one, which I will embed into my Blog, I focused on limericks.  I could use this as supplemental info for my sophomore English class.  I also made a special limerick which I dedicated to the Summer Technology Challenge!



The my next Voki, which is actually the first one I created, is geared toward my upcoming Summer One-Act Camp on July 23.  I posted it on the Norfolk One-Act's Facebook page to remind my kids of the camp. Summer One-Act Camp Voki

For my final Voki, I discussed the Ides of March, which will be covered in sophomore English when we read Julius Caesar. Ides of March Voki

I think Voki can be used to spice up any old lesson.  The possibilities are endless, as they say!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are liking Voki. This was one tool that I wasn't sure about for the HS classroom. But you have come up with some good ideas for using it. I think for some students who are afraid to speak in public, Voki might be an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Mickie! I think Voki can definitely be used at any level! Someone had the idea of introducing vocabulary words with it. Genius! I love this tech challenge because not only do I learn new apps and tools to use in my class, but it is awesome to discover how other teachers use the technology in their classrooms!

    ReplyDelete